Founded in 1949, CASDA became the nation’s third school study council after a group of educational leaders from Eastern New York joined together with the goal of linking the New York State College for Teachers with area school districts.
Founded in 1949, CASDA became the nation’s third school study council (the two earlier ones were affiliated with Columbia University and Harvard University) after a group of educational leaders from Eastern New York joined together with the goal of linking the New York State College for Teachers with area school districts. The primary purpose of CASDA at the time was to examine emerging educational challenges and provide professional development to K-12 schools in the Capital Region, which were rapidly changing due to post-war expansion.
Today, CASDA has grown from a small school study council to the third largest in the nation. It continues to act as a catalyst and convener for education professionals by bringing them together to address complicated educational challenges and providing them with cutting-edge professional development. It also has broadened its efforts from an organization that provided support primarily for school administrators to one that offers programs and services to a more diverse audience, including an increased emphasis on teachers and school staff members. While CASDA has evolved over the years, it has remained true to its founding purpose of bringing local educators together in order to improve school districts and provide a better education for the students it serves.
1949: CASDA is founded by local educators in Eastern New York in order to provide professional development services to area school districts. It started with 18 affiliate school districts and a $2,000 operating budget. Joseph Leese served as its first executive director.
1953: Donald Donley takes over as executive director.
1954: CASDA begins offering in-service programs to member school districts. These initial programs included television and radio workshops.
1964: CASDA is given federal funding to study education in the Capital Region.
1967: Bernard Bryan is named executive director.
1970: Alton Farnsworth takes over as executive director. This same year, BOCES schools begin to be admitted as members, bringing the number of affiliated school
districts to 42.
1971: CASDA is officially incorporated by the New York State Education Department.
1976: Gregory Benson is named executive director.
1985: Dr. Richard Bamberger takes over as executive director. He would hold the position for 15 years, making him the longest serving executive director to date. This same year, the Principals’ Center was established to help principals meet the challenges of their role and provide a forum for them to share the practices that have proven successful in the school setting.
1986: Private and parochial schools are invited into affiliation.
1988: The number of our affiliated school districts tops 100 for the first time, with 101.
1991: The Executive Committee is enlarged from nine school superintendents to 13 in order to provide more representation for our growing number of affiliations.
1996: The Principals’ Guild is founded to provide networking and professional development for the principals and assistant principals of the Capital Region.
1999: CASDA celebrates its 50th anniversary.
2000: Dr. Ruth Kellogg is named executive director.
2005: Jeffrey McLellan takes over as executive director
2006: CASDA becomes the third largest school study council in the nation.
2008: Consulting services begin to be offered in order to assist school districts with increasing student outcomes, improving organizational structures and enhancing school leadership.
2010: Dr. James Butterworth is named executive director.
2014: CASDA rebrands in order to reflect current educational trends, a shifting environment, and a renewed dedication to contemporary technologically-driven services.